Main Content

Freight Delivery

The Grounds Department provides delivery service for freight not handled by Central Receiving. A Request for Physical Plant Services Form, signed by the fiscal officer, that defines all pertinent information regarding the type of freight and where it is to be delivered, must be submitted to the Facilities Operations Center to arrange for this service.

Grounds Maintenance

The Physical Plant Grounds Department provides various service and maintenance functions on a non-reimbursable basis for academic areas and their various support and administrative departments. These services include, but are not limited to:

  • Grounds maintenance including mowing; care of trees, shrubs and plantings; trash pick-up; leaf and brush removal; landscape pest control; maintenance of pools and fountains; asphalt maintenance; and snow removal
  • Management of contractor services for refuse collection and tree removal.
  • Asbestos removal; concrete repair and replacement

These services are also provided for non-academic departments such as university housing, recreation, athletics, and traffic and parking on a reimbursable basis.

The Grounds Department provides additional services to both academic and non-academic areas of campus on a reimbursable basis. These services require the submittal of a Request for Physical Plant Services Form to the Facilities Operations Center to initiate the service.

Memorial Tree Donation

Moving Services

Moving services within University owned properties are provided by the Grounds Department. Among the types of things the Grounds Department will move are furniture, equipment of all sorts, supplies, and surplus property. To request moving services a Request for Physical Plant Services Form, signed by the fiscal officer, should be forwarded to the Facilities Operations Center.
To request a move, the following information is needed on the service request:

  1. Move date. Every effort will be made to accommodate the department's schedule. The request should be received by Plant and Service Operations at least one week in advance of the desired move date. Actual move dates should be agreed upon between the Grounds Department superintendent and grounds automotive foreman.
  2. Size of move. For large moves that involve an entire department, list the offices or rooms to be moved. For smaller moves, describe or list the items to be moved individually on the service request.
  3. Location(s) of move. Identify the location of where materials are that need to be moved and where they are to be moved. Provide building names and room numbers
  4. Contact Person. Give the name and phone number of the person who Grounds should contact to make arrangements for the move.
  5. Billing Information. Provide the account number and title to be billed for the services

Upon request, the Grounds Department will estimate the cost of the move and contact the department with the cost.

A work order will be issued by the Facilities Operations Center to the Grounds Department for the move. The foreman in charge of moves will contact the requesting department to review the scope of the move and to finalize the move schedule.

Other Work Provided by the Grounds Department

The Grounds Department can provide various types of miscellaneous work that are not included in its routine service and maintenance program. Additional services provided by the Grounds Department at a reimbursable rate are:

  • Academic Areas -- Landscaping or other new construction.
  • Non-academic Areas -- Any new work, such as those types of service and maintenance obligations provided to academic areas; maintenance of athletic fields; maintenance of signage for parking and traffic; and labor and equipment requirements for craft support.

Special Events Set-Up

The Grounds Department can provide labor, equipment and certain materials for special events on a reimbursable basis. Staging, refuse containers and fencing can be provided at no cost other than for hauling, set-up and tear-down. Extra dumpsters for special events may also be requested at an extra charge.

Upon request, the Grounds Department can move staging, audio equipment and other materials obtained through other university departments for special events. To request this service, submit a completed Request for Physical Plant Services Form, signed by the fiscal officer, to the Facilities Operations Center.

Appropriate instructions and diagrams that describe the work to be performed also need to be included on the service request submitted by the requesting department.